- Do you want to come and work as a GP in beautiful Somerset?
- Are you interested in a GP career that gives you the benefits of traditional General Practice but without the risks?
- Do you want to be part of an NHS General Practice organisation committed to innovation and redesign of General Practice and exciting to work for?
We’re looking for GPs – from the UK and overseas – to join our practice teams.
We offer our GPs a competitive remuneration package based on the BMA GP Contract with additional incentive payments and further allowances for GPs providing specialist skills and leadership roles. A range of flexible working arrangements are available as well as sessional and portfolio roles. We can also provide tier 2 visa sponsorship for international GPs.
We have GP roles available in a number of our practices in Somerset, suitable for all levels of experience from newly qualified GPs with specialist and/or senior leadership experience.
Follow the links below to find out more about working in SHS, our current GP vacancies, and how we could bring your career to life.
We offer our GPs an exceptional range of career opportunities and benefits such as:
- Working in a practice committed to personalised care and high quality, but with the advantage of being part of a network of practices supporting each other
- Working in a GP role that gives you leadership opportunities and career progression
- Pay that reflects your skills and commitment
- Working with other clinicians to provide Primary Care through a wide multi-disciplinary team
- Working for a group of practices committed to education and research
- Flexible working arrangements, remote working from home, portfolio working, and variable work commitments
We have developed a mentorship scheme in the organisation with the aim of:
- Creating a pool of available mentors within SHS
- Supporting newly appointed GPs within SHS by offering regular protected time with an experienced GP
- Enabling newly appointed GPs to feel more confident in managing issues to do with risk, uncertainty and workload
- Building important relationships within SHS and promoting healthy professional development of both mentors and mentees
On appointment to SHS, newly recruited GPs will be emailed and offered names of those GPs who are available to be their mentor.
Somerset offers a number of country walks, the Somerset levels and moors and is close to the golden sand beaches of Dorset. There are a number of towns and cities on our doorstep from the beautifully quaint such as Frome, Wells, Glastonbury and Bruton to the larger more bustling areas such as Yeovil, Bristol, Taunton and Bath (and also Exeter which sits close by in Devon). All offering an array of shops, restaurants, bars, arts and culture. Families are also catered for in abundance with attractions such as the renowned Longleat Safari and Wildlife Park, Cheddar Gorge and the Fleet Air museum close by.
For more information about what Somerset has to offer, click here.
Parents moving into Somerset, or those wishing to start a family, will have a wealth of educational facilities on their doorstep. As well as a choice of state primary, secondary and further education facilities, the area also boasts a number of private schools with excellent reputations. Access to academic excellence at a higher level is unparalleled, with Bristol University, the University of the West of England (Bristol) and Bath University approximately an hour away. The website of Somerset County Council, our Local Education Authority, contains everything you need to start planning for the education needs of your family. Visit www.somerset.gov.uk/education-learning-and-schools
As Clinical Lead, SHS have empowered me to shape how our surgery is run but without the financial pressure and liabilities of partnership that used to keep me awake at night. Working in a multi-diciplinary team, with the support of a workflow hub and medicinces management hub, allows me to focus on the jobs that only a GP can do, rather than having to do it all myself. My role encompasses a mixture of the traditional GP work of patient consultations, alongside running a contraception service plus leading in areas of clinical transformation. This variety means I can enjoy being a GP again!
Dr Kathryn Patrick, Joint Clinical Lead, Buttercross Health Centre, Somerton
We support GPs in honing and broadening their medical and leadership skills as key members of our multidisciplinary teams. SHS is a fast-moving organisation working to develop the foundations for effective and sustainable 21st century primary care.
Dr Chris Krasucki, Joint Clinical Lead, Buttercross Health Centre, Somerton
View a full list of current GP vacancies here.
Can’t see a job that matches your skills or interests? We would be delighted to hear from. You can send your CV to us at SHS.Recruitment@ydh.nhs.uk.
By submitting your CV you agree to us storing your personal data for recruitment processing and monitoring of our service in line with current GDPR regulations.